Sharples Science Visit

Making pizza, including the base, from scratch

Year 6 went on two terrific science/food tech trips to Sharples (thank you Sharples). Please write two things you learnt in your science lesson and write two things you learnt in your food technology lesson (please use bullet points).

Mixing yeast, water and sugar in a glass container

This entry was posted in Class Blogs. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Sharples Science Visit

1. 0212011ac1 says:

Things I learnt from the Science Lab:
    1) All living things (organisms) have bacteria.
    2) If you add water and food to yeast it will grow.
    Things I learnt from the Baking:
    1) Yeast helps the dough rise.
    2) It is important to get rid of all the germs before baking/cooking

2. 0212011ah says:

. Yeast needs sugar, water and warmth to make something rise.
    . Yeast comes alive when it is warm.

3. 0212011ra says:

I really enjoyed the science trip . I also learned..
    * Yeast is used to make food rise.
    * There is bacteria in yoghurt.

4. 0212011ap2 says:

There is micro creatures in activia yoghurt and bacteria likes to eat lots of things and that product starts to grow fungus on it.

5. 0212011rk says:

1) All living things have bacteria
    2) Yeast rises with air
    1) Yeast makes the dough rise
    2) There should be no germs on your hands

6. 0212011ap1 says:

1) Bacteria is in everything.
    2) Yeast helps the food rise.
    3) You have to use flour so the dough doesn’t stick on the table.

7. 0212011hm1 says:

Facts that I learned in science:
    1) Yeast is alive.
    2) There is good bacteria and bad bacteria.
    Facts that I learned in baking:
    1) Flour helps to make dough not stick to the table.
    2) If you make the dough to floury it will become stiff and you don’t want that.

8. 0212011rm says:

Yeast needs carbon dioxide to breathe and give air to things.
    When bacteria sees food it leaves fungus on it

9. 0212011tp says:

1) I learned that yeast makes dough.
    2) I also learned that yeast can come alive after they die.

1) When I was making dough for the calzone I was using the back of my hand to mix the dough properly and also known as a karate move which is called the shootout.
    2)I realised that you can make 2 calzones using one whole dough by putting it into half.

10. 0212011fa says:

on the sharples science trip I learnt
    .If you add water and sugar to yeast the yeast grows.
    .there is bacteria in yogourt.
    .Yeast is alive

11. 0212011mp says:

-bacteria is everywhere
    -In yoghurts there is good bacteria

12. 0212011mb says:

In science in Sharples we learnt:
    1)Yeast is a growing organism
    2)yeast grows when you add sugar and carbondioxide

13. 0212011mp says:

In food tech we learnt:
    1)you must wash your hands thoroughly
    2)You put powder on the dough to make it easier for you to make

14. 0212011ap says:

*All living things have bacteria.
    *If you add sugar and water to yeast it breathes CO2 (carbon dioxide).
    *You have to make sure you wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling food.
    *If you make dough too floury it becomes stiff but you have to make it a bit floury so it doesn’t stick to the table.

15. 0212011mi says:

In science at Sharples High School I learnt:
    1)If yeast is added to sugar and water it will breath CO2
    2)Every living organism has bacteria
    In food technology at Sharples High School I learnt:
    1)You must wash your hands thoroughly before handling food
    2)If you make dough too floury it becomes stiff

16. 0212011mp1 says:

in the science lab we learnt
    that there is bacteria in yogurt
    2) yeast is alive and it breaths after you add sugar and carbon dioxide
    I food tech we learnt
    3) how to make pizza
    4)we should always wash your hand thoroughly before making pizza(becase there is bacteria)

17. 0212011mb says:

In food tech we learnt:
    1)you must wash your hands (there is bacteria)
    2)you should put flour on your dough so it doesn’t stick

18. 0212011tg says:

6x and 6y went to sharples school and the first week there 6x baked pizza and 6y went to the science experiment lab and did some experiments. the second week back we swapped around. In my opinion I think cooking is the best as you learn how to use capacity.

19. 0212011kp says:

When Year 6 went to Sharples we did Science and Food Tech . In Food Tech we made a pizza cal zone. Throughout this process we had to knead,mix,pour and spread . We had to be very precise when we were measuring the capacity of the water. Though in Science we used an object called the Bunsen Burner . It was quite a dangerous object so we had to wear goggles . We also used another hazardous chemical which was like petrol and it was flammable. The whole of Year 6 enjoyed their visit to Sharples and we hope we can go their again soon .

20. 0212011aa3 says:

Food
    All food have good and bad bacteria.
    There are different types of vitamins in food

Science
    If you leave your food for a long time then fungus can grow on it but you can still eat it.
    to clean our equipment we got some petrol and dipped it in then we burnt it in fire for 2 seconds and that is how it got cleaned.

21. 0212011zp1 says:

Year 6 went to Sharples High School for science and food tech. In food tech we made pizzas , but they were not exactly like pizzas they were calzones . They were delicious .
    My score out of 10 would be 10!

In science my favourite part was the Bunsen burner . Did you know to kill bacteria you have to hold the bacteria near fire because bacteria don’t like heat. Also my favourite part was spreading the bacteria on to special jelly. Also his jelly is only used for science.

22. 0212011mc1 says:

The 2 Things that I learned in Science are:
    1)Yeast is what makes bread rise
    2)There is good bacteria in yogurt

The 2 things I learned in Food Tech are:
    1)You put flour on the pizza dough so it doesn’t stick
    2)Shootcut is a Karate move which you use to beat the dough

23. 0212011mk says:

Year 6 went to visit Sharples and did a science experiment. We also baked some delicious pizza. We had turns one week we did science the second we did baking.In baking the ingredients were: herbs sweetcorn and tomato. I ate my pizza and i really loved it. In science we did different types of experiments. My favorite experiment was when we learnt bacteria is on yogurt because i eat a lot of yogurt. We also learnt yeast is alive after you add sugar and carbon dioxide. In my opinion baking slightly topped it of in which one was better because we learnt lots of different ingredients.

24. 0212011kp says:

When Year 6 went to Sharples we did Science and Food Tech . In Food Tech we made a pizza cal zone. Throughout this process we had to knead,mix,pour and spread . We had to be very precise when we were measuring the capacity of the water. Though in Science we used an object called the Bunsen Burner . It was quite a dangerous object so we had to wear goggles . We also used another hazardous chemical which was like petrol and it was flammable. The whole of Year 6 enjoyed their visit to Sharples and we hope we can go their again soon.